Wednesday, October 22, 2014

2009 NaNoWriMo Novel Survey

While going through my files, trying to update my NaNoWriMo profile, I stumbled upon a survey I took back in 2009 after finishing Bad Moon Rising.  I originally found this survey in one of the NaNo forums (probably Games, Diversions, & Other Exciting Forms of Procrastination, as I tend to hang out there a lot when I should be writing).  Anyway, I thought it was kind of neat.  I am posting it here in its entirety (all 75 questions and answers).  I admit, I was tempted to edit some of my responses, but I resisted the urge in the name of authenticity.  I completed this survey on November 26, 2009.

So, without further ado, here are my answers to the 2009 NaNoWriMo Novel Survey:


1. What’s your word count?
102,098


2. How long until you finish?
I just did. Filling out this survey is my reward for finishing.


3. If you have finished, how long did it take you?
26 days.


4. Do you have an outline?
Outline? What’s an outline?


5. Do you have a plot?
Absolutely!


6. How many words do you typically write a day?
The average is about 4,500.


7. What was your greatest word count in one day?
13,751


8. What was your least impressive word count in one day?
0


9. What inspired you to write?
This is the third novel in a series I’ve been working on for the past two Nanos. A few months ago, I imagined a new character who I just knew was going to wreak havoc on all the old characters’ lives and I just couldn’t resist writing him.


10. Does your novel have a theme song?
Um . . . Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival?


11. Assign each of your major characters a theme song.
Edward – Bad Moon Rising
Portia – To Make You Feel My Love


12. Which character is most like you?
Of my main characters, that would be Portia. She’s obsessively loved the wrong man for years. Um, yeah . . . been there, done that.


13. Which character would you most likely be friends with?
Samantha. She’s just so cool!


14. Do you have any Gary-Stu’s or Mary Sue’s (if you do not recognize the term, click here: http://www.onlyfiction.net/marysue2.html)?
No. I try to avoid those like the Bubonic Plague.


15. Who is your favorite character in your novel?
Julian! He was my favorite character in my last novel, and in the novel before that. I am pathetically obsessed with the man.


16. Have your characters ever done something completely unexpected? If so, what?
Haha. Seriously? My Male Main Character (MMC) kidnapped my Female Main Character (FMC), threatened to kill her, and locked her in an iron cage in his basement. Where the hell did that come from?


17. Have you based any of your novel directly on personal experiences?
I suppose.


18. Do you believe in plot bunnies?
You mean there are people who don’t?


19. Is there magic in your novel?
Um . . . sort of. Some might call it magic.


20. Are any holidays celebrated in your novel?
Nope.


21. Does anyone die?
Seventeen years before the novel starts, three important people were murdered. Sometimes it’s all anyone talks about.


22. How many cups of coffee have you consumed during your writing experience?
I think only two. Maybe three. I’ve recently switched to hot chocolate.


23. What is the latest you have stayed up writing?
6am.


24. What is the best line?
“Tell me, Edward, wherever did you find this girl? She’s absolutely the best guard dog I’ve ever seen.”


25. What is the worst line?
The doorbell rang. – Not the worst line in the world on its own, but it’s the opening line of my novel.  As an opening line, it’s pretty bad.


26. Have you dreamt about your novel or its characters?
No.


27. Does your novel rely heavily on allegory?
I didn’t think so when I started writing it, but my FMC’s last name is Godfrey and my MMC doesn’t believe in God. Coincidence?


28. Summarize your novel in under fifteen words.
A dying man. A woman obsessed. Only her love can save him.


29. Do you love all your characters?
Too much.


30. Have you done something sadistic or cruel to your characters specifically to increase your word count?
No. I just do it because I enjoy it. ^_^


31. What was the last thing your main character ate?
I think my FMC had a sip of tea right before the MMC’s brother showed up at the end of the book to kill him.


32. Describe your main character in three words.
Loyal. Devoted. Courageous.


33. What would your antagonist dress up as for Halloween?
A vampire. Haha.


34. Does anyone in your story go to a place of worship?
Not during the novel, but I’m sure that my FMC goes every Sunday.


35. How many romantic relationships take place in your novel?
Hmm. Well, it’s the third book in a series and both couples from the previous two novels appear in this book so . . . three?


36. Are there any explosions in your novel?
Not in this one.


37. Is there an apocalypse in your novel?
Nope.


38. Does your novel take place in a post-apocalyptic world?
No.


39. Are there zombies, vampires or werewolves in your novel?
Um . . . sort of. But not really. But sort of.


40. Are there witches, wizards or mythological creatures/figures in your novel?
Bingo!


41. Is anyone reincarnated?
No.


42. Is anyone physically ailed?
Yup. My MMC is literally falling to pieces


43. Is anyone mentally ill?
That’s up for debate. I tend to think all my characters are crazy.


44. Does anyone have swine flu?
No.


45. Who has pets in your novel and what are they?
Haha! Seriously? Julian has a flying monkey.


46. Are there angels, demons, or any religious references/figures in your novel?
A lot of talk about God and souls, but no angels or demons.


47. How about political figures?
No.


48. Is there incessant drinking?
Unfortunately not. That would have been fun though.


49. Are there board games? If so, which ones?
No.


50. Are there any dream sequences?
Nope.


51. Is there humor?
But of course.


52. Is there tragedy?
Tons.


53. Does anyone have a temper tantrum?
Uh . . . yeah. And for some strange reason, it’s always the grown men.


54. How many characters end up single at the end of your novel?
Just the FMC’s mother, I guess.


55. Is anyone in your novel adopted?
No.


56. Does anyone in your novel wear glasses?
Nope.


57. Has your novel provided insight about your life?
Probably. But I really don’t want to look too closely at that.


58. Your personality?
Oh yes.


59. Has your novel inspired anyone?
Yes, actually. My mom is Nanoing too and she’s stolen some ideas from me. I don’t mind though, because we’re writing two completely different stories and word count is word count.


60. How many people have asked to read your novel?
Three?


61. Have you drawn any of your characters?
Sadly, I cannot draw.


62. Has anyone drawn your characters for you?
No.


63. Does anyone vomit in your novel?
Almost.


64. Does anyone bleed in your novel?
Absolutely!


65. Do any of your characters watch TV?
It’s 1891. If they are watching TV, they have a lot of explaining to do.


66. What size shoe does your main character wear?
Um . . . a five? She’s really tiny.


67. Do any of the characters in your novel use a computer?
See #65.


68. How would you react if your novel was erased entirely?
I would break many, many, many things.


69. Did you cry at killing off any of your characters?
No. But that’s probably because I only kill people off before the book starts. Once I start writing, no one ever dies.


70. Did you cheer when killing off one of your characters?
See #69.


71. What advice would you give to a fellow writer?
Word wars – use them. If you don’t have someone to war with, war with yourself. Try to beat your last score each time. And, when all else fails, get one of your characters drunk. It’s always good for a few thousand words at least.


72. Describe your ending in three words.
Love. Trust. Acceptance.


73. Are there any love triangles, squares, hexagons, etc.?
Oh yeah. One big, messed up love triangle, (or square, I suppose).


74. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the least stressful, 10 being the most) how does your stress rank?
10!


75. Is it worth it?
Without a doubt!


No comments:

Post a Comment