Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Welcome to Camp NaNoWriMo

The School of Mental Gymnastics
Participant 2014 - Facebook Cover

Ah, April 1st.  The first day of camp.  Well, Camp NaNoWriMo.  And just like the last two or three or four sessions of camp, I have decided to write a novel.  I suspect I will have as much success with this attempt as with the last several attempts, and yet I'm willing to try again.  I'm a veteran Wrimo, having won eight years in a row, (I even have NaNoWriMo license plates on my car), but a victory at camp has always eluded me.  Maybe it's because of the lack of overwhelming pressure associated with the camp experience.  Camp is supposed to be fun, relaxed.  I don't do well with fun and relaxed.  In order to really commit myself to the writing process, I need pressure.  Lots and lot of pressure.  And coffee.  Lots and lots of coffee.  Still, it's April 1st and here I am again.  I'm going to give it another try.

For those of you unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo - and it's more relaxed, lazier offspring, Camp NaNoWriMo - I will provide a brief introduction.  NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  Every November, thousands upon thousands of people all over the world get it into their heads that they are going to write their very own 50,000 word novels in just 30 short days.  It sounds crazy, it is crazy, but it can be done.  And it's one of the best writing experiences I've had in the 20 plus years I have been writing fiction.  For a more detailed explanation of the insanity that is NaNoWriMo, check out the sites very informative FAQ page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment