Saturday, April 12, 2014

If Only It Were Still 2003 . . .

Back in 2003, three years before my introduction to NaNoWriMo, I was a rather rabid Spuffy shipper.  I still am, I suppose, although it's very rare that I do anything in the fandom these days.  I was such a devoted Spuffy fan, in fact, that I started writing Spuffy fanfiction.  It started, primarily, because I was so dissatisfied with what Joss Whedon and company were doing with Spike and Buffy on the show.  Originally, it was just a way to keep myself sane.  But, over time, it became more than that.  Ideas kept coming to me, and I kept writing.  I found that the little stories I wrote just to please myself, were actually making other people happy, and for a writer, there is no greater joy than that. 

My last Spuffy fic, "Goldilocks", went live on October 27, 2010, and I haven't written a single word of fanfiction since.  I still have at least half a dozen unfinished Spuffy fics wasting away on my computer, waiting to be completed, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it.  The urgency to complete those stories is gone.  I know there are still Spuffy fans out there who regularly search for fanfic, I know my old stories are still being read, but my novel writing has taken priority over my fanfiction, and I don't know if I will ever get back to it.

Altogether, I was able to complete 17 Spuffy stories.  They are housed in various corners of the internet.  There are a few at The Spuffy Realm, a few more at Sinister Attraction, and others floating around on other sites whose names I can no longer remember.  Currently, the only site that holds all of my fanfiction work is FanFiction.net.  I used to have my own site, Always Beneath You, but I lost it when Geocities folded.  If I do complete any fanfiction in the future, it will most likely end up on FanFiction.net.  I still visit that site on occasion, usually to read stories from other fandoms.  Again, my passion for Spuffy seems to have waned a bit, although if I pulled out any of the DVDs or read any good fanfic, I'd probably be sucked right in again.  Sometimes, I wish I was back in 2003.  There was something so vibrant and exciting about being in the fandom back them.  I truly miss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment