Sunday, November 9, 2014

NaNoWriMo - Day 8 - Excerpt

The first five days of NaNoWriMo were extremely productive for me.  I wrote 5k+ words each day and I was quite satisfied with my progress.  But then on Day 6, things started to fall apart.  On Day 7, I didn't even write a single word.  On Day 8, I did my best to get back on track, but only managed about 3,500 words.  But, at least I'm still writing and I should eventually make my 100k word goal, although I doubt I'll make much more than that.

Even though I didn't reach my word count goal for the day, I did manage to pull an excerpt from my novel and post it on my NaNo profile, (although the page is still having issues and there are some wonky things going on there).  Here is a little excerpt from my current novel, Captive Princess, for your reading pleasure:
           

Remy approached Indya.  She was sitting in the chair, her hands clenched into fists, staring blindly at the table in front of her.  Without a word to her, he leaned forward and unlocked the handcuff on her right wrist. 

            She turned her head and looked up at him in surprise.

            Before she could say a single word, he snapped a new cuff onto that same wrist, closing it tightly around her flesh.

            She glared at him.  “Is there a reason I need to wear two chains?”

            “You’ll only be wearing one,” he said as he snapped the handcuff at the other end of the chain around his own wrist.  This pair of cuffs had a length of chain between them that was considerably longer than the one she already wore.  The only way he could ensure that she would not escape while traveling was if they were handcuffed together.  “Give me your other wrist,” he said.

            She did as instructed and he unlocked the other cuff, releasing her left hand.  Remy put the old pair of handcuffs on the kitchen table, the key still protruding from the lock.  He wanted to make it abundantly clear to his captive that the new cuffs could not be unlocked with that same key.  He had the key for the new ones hidden on his person, but she’d never find out where.

“Stand up,” he commanded.

She did as she was told.

“We’re leaving now,” he said, staring her square in the eyes.  “I am taking you to the Malika and they will decide your fate.  If you try to escape again, you will be punished accordingly.  Is that understood?”

“I would rather suffer a thousand torments than go back to the Malika.”

“That can be arranged.  Do you understand?”

She said nothing.  She didn’t even shake her head.  Remy grabbed her by the throat, putting just enough pressure on her windpipe to be intimidating.  She finally nodded.

“Good,” he said, releasing her.  “Then it’s time to go.”  He began walking toward the entrance, but she didn’t move.  He glared at her.  “I thought you said you understood.”

            “I cannot pay you with treasure, to take me back to my people.  But I can pay you with my body.”

            Remy inhaled a sharp breath, trying to keep his frustration in check.  “I told you before, you hold no attraction for me.”

            “That isn’t true.  You want me.  I know you do.  I could feel it when we were lying on the ground.  Take me back to my people and you can have use of my body.”

            “It’s not worth the risk.”

            “What risk?”

            “You stabbed the Malika chieftain.  No doubt, half the Malika army is out looking for you right now.  If they find me taking you south, to your people, they’ll kill us both.  I’m sorry, Princess, but I’m not willing to die for you.”

            “He didn’t . . . rape me, if that matters.  I am still untouched.  You would be the first man to ever lie with me.”

            For half a second, Remy actually believed her, but then he realized she was just trying to sell him something and she would do anything to make the offer more enticing.  Most men would have been willing to slice off their own arm for a chance to lie with a beautiful virgin, but it didn’t make a difference to Remy.  Untouched or not, she wasn’t worth risking his life for.

            “I’m sorry, my dear, but I have to decline.”

            “But you do want me.”

            “I haven’t been with a woman in three months.  You could be covered in mud and smell like a rotting cougar and I’d still want you.  But I’m man enough to be capable of controlling my basic urges.  No woman is worth dying for.  Not even you, Princess.”

            “You’ll burn in Hell for this.  You know that, don’t you?  If you bring me back there, they’ll kill me, and you’ll be just as guilty as if you’d struck the deathblow with your own hand.”

            “Lucky for me, I don’t believe in Hell, so I should be perfectly safe.  Now,” he said, offering her a condescending smile, “let’s go.”

            He tugged the chain between then, hard, and she stumbled forward, nearly crashing into him.  She caught herself just a split second before making contact with his chest.  She stood up straight, pulled back her shoulders, and glared at him.

            “If you behaved yourself, things like that wouldn’t happen,” he said.

            “If you weren’t such a self-serving bastard they wouldn’t happen either.”

            “Yes, that’s probably true.  But I have no intention of changing, so you’ll just have to deal with it.” 

He tugged the chain again, but this time she was ready for it.  She held herself steady and didn’t budge an inch.

Remy raised an eyebrow at her.  “I hope you don’t expect me to carry you.  I will if I have to, but I’ll have to drug you first, and I know how much you were hoping to avoid that.”

“You can’t drug me if I refuse to eat.”

“Apparently, you’ve never seen a syringe, have you?”

“Why do you always talk in riddles?”

            “I don’t.  It’s not my fault that you don’t understand anything that exists outside of your sheltered little world.  Trust me, Princess,” he said, taking a step closer, “If I wish to drug you, I will drug you.  I don’t need your cooperation.  All I have to do is fill a syringe with tranquilizer and then stick a long, pointy needle into your tender flesh, anywhere I can find a vein.  The tranquilizer will go straight into your bloodstream and render you unconscious in seconds.”

            “Do it now then,” she said in challenge.  “If you don’t, I will escape.”

            Remy smiled to himself as he took a step back.  “Oh, I would, but I’m just too lazy to carry you around on my back all day.  Besides, you’re a lot more entertaining awake than asleep.  You snore.”

            “I do not!”

            “Yes, you do.  If you ask me, it’s very unbecoming behavior for a princess, but then, what do I know?”

            He pulled the chain again and, this time, she did falter.  “Now, let’s go.  I want to start moving before noon.”  He turned then and started walking.  The chain grew taught and he could feel her resisting behind him, but he was much stronger than she was and he weighed nearly twice as much.  Even when she tried pulling on the chain, she couldn’t hold him back, and he ended up dragging her across the floor on the soles of her boots. 

            When they reached the entrance, Remy turned around and pulled hard on the chain, causing her to crash into him.  Without a word of warning, he scooped her up in his arms and carried her over the threshold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment